Germination Domination

Here's where the gardeners shine! Be it veggies, herbs or fruit, we've got something for everyone!

05 Jul 2012, 16:13 #1

I don't see why we can't pick up our gardening chat where we left off!  

Compost Happens..... Image

Last edited by Guest on 06 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

05 Jul 2012, 18:48 #2

I got a very late start on gardening this year - just too much stuff going on - but now the zucchini are coming in fast and furious (no, nothing to do with Eric Holder's drug cartels). Tonight we're having it stuffed, which I love. Need to make zucchini bread or cake tomorrow.

byrdie

05 Jul 2012, 19:06 #3

What ya got growing there, Motzi?
Zucchini bread....I love that stuff.  Share your recipe would ya please Ferdie ferd?!  I'm always looking for a new way to screw with mr b's head.  That is, he wouldn't eat a zucchini if it were the last thing on earth.  He said the same thing about butternut squash till I made breakfast muffins out of one.  He was eating them like they were going out of style.  HA!  Men.
Image  “This is my invariable advice to people:  Learn how to cook- try new
recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!”  -
Ms. Julia   Image

05 Jul 2012, 19:42 #4

I've never made zucchini bread. Please post pics and a recipe Ferd if at all possible. Butternut squash muffins sound devine too byrdie. I gots to get to searching for some recipes, thanks ladies.

05 Jul 2012, 21:54 #5

I used to have a free form compost pile along the back fence of the yard and contributed to it heavily when I was rehabbing squirrels and had a couple of pet iguanas. Lots of veggie waste. Many times I'd go back there and lettuce would be growing from the butt I cut off of it. Once it grew the prettiest butternut squash vine you ever did see and yielded an abundance of said squash. I still compost, but in a large container rather than free form.
Yes, please post zucchini recipe for bread and the stuffed ones too. I've been cooking the hell out of yellow summer squash. They're spent now, thank goodness. I've never seen so much squash in my life, 'cept in the grocery.

byrdie

05 Jul 2012, 22:02 #6

I've always wondered how to compost.  I don't think if I did start a heap I would just have a pile in the backyard.  I'd be too a-scared of bugs, snakes, mouses, ratzo-rizzos and other undesirable critterage.  Plus I'm continually fighting fire ants so I can imagine a compost heap would be heaven on earth for them. 
Container-wise, how do you do it.....what do you need, what do you do when you get all you need...yada yada....
Image  “This is my invariable advice to people:  Learn how to cook- try new
recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!”  -
Ms. Julia   Image

05 Jul 2012, 23:57 #7

Byrdie-
If you're short on space, and worried about little critters, get one of those outrageously expensive plastic things, they're sort of geodesic-dome shaped, so that you can roll them around every day, and they won't kill the grass that way.  If you do like a bargain (hmmm, I've read a few of your posts) you can do the same thing with a 55 gallon drum, plastic, dark colored is better.  Fill it up, turn it on it's side, and roll it back and forth.

Half 'brown', half 'green', and you're good to go.  I've used metal ones too, but they were heavier than I was.

06 Jul 2012, 01:04 #8

I bought one of the black plastic compost "drum" thingies for about $85 a year or two ago at the Tractor Supply Co. I'm undecided on whether I like it - it's a little difficult to get the compost out, once it's ready to go on the plants. I've also been too lazy to make sure it's being properly fed and rotated, though.

For the stuffed zucchinis tonight, I sliced one in half, lengthwise, scooped out the guts and chopped them. Salted the guts and put them in a colander; squeezed out some of the moisture. Meanwhile, chopped some red bell pepper and onion and added them to the now-drained innards. Added black pepper, a little garlic powder, dried basil and oregano, bread crumbs and grated parmesan cheese. Returned same to the zucchini "shells," dabbed with some bits of mozzarella, a little butter and some fresh chopped basil, and baked until bubbly, about 45 min.

I'll look for the zucchini bread recipe. There's also a good one for chocolate-zucchini cake.

06 Jul 2012, 01:35 #9

Your stuffed zukes sound tasty, Ferdie. I'd like a chocolate-zucchini cake recipe, too. Probably very moist, like carrot cake, I'm guessing.

06 Jul 2012, 12:12 #10

Love zucchini bread!  Such a great way to use up the barrel of squash ya end up with in summer... 

Byrd--those are my celebrated tomato plants!  I kinda mashed 'em in this year and there ain't much space between 'em but they don't mind!  There are tons of blossoms and small fruit so far, the eggplant has some blossoms also but I'm nervous!

Here is a recipe from Whole Paycheck (dunno about subbing other types of flour):

IngredientsNatural cooking spray 
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 
1 egg 
1/3 cup expeller pressed canola oil 
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce 
2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt 
3/4 cup sugar 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
1 cup grated zucchini 
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts

MethodPreheat oven to 325°F. Spray an 8-inch loaf pan with natural cooking spray and set aside. 
In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in zucchini and walnuts then transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until risen, deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. 
Cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes then remove bread from pan and continue cooling on rack.