Sous Vide

A new way to cook and so much to learn! Now there's a place to organize our thoughts and experiences!!
byrdie

12 Jun 2014, 14:51 #1

Yesterday my sous vide arrived!  I had enough energy at the end of the day to unpack it from it's shipping box but today I'll unpack the lot and find a proper place for it in my lovely kitchen.  Then let the games begin!!  Squirrel, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions so be on standby!  LOL!!  
Image  “This is my invariable advice to people:  Learn how to cook- try new
recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!”  -
Ms. Julia   Image

12 Jun 2014, 16:14 #2

I'm shocked you had the patience to wait for regular shipping! Looking forward to hearing about it.

byrdie

12 Jun 2014, 16:24 #3

Well you'd think that but it was free shipping so can't look that gift horse in the mouth! 
I've cleared a nice space for the sous vide and am reading all the collateral that came with said machinery.  A lot of information to absorb and new techniques to learn.  Plus I've got a loaf of oatmeal sandwich bread on the rise and six mini-loaves of ciabatta I just finished shaping, not to mention portioning out the sweet italian sausage we made on Sunday into bags for freezing.  Busy, busy day.  I'm off to stuff casings with the banana pepper sausage. 
I'm thinking the first test for my new toy will be a steak.  Probably on Sunday since I've got meals planned out and ready to go for the rest of the week.  Like airplanes at IAHA, waiting in queue.  But I might just sneak a couple of spiced apples in for grins and see how that goes. 
Ms. Julia   Image

12 Jun 2014, 19:45 #4

Yay! byrdie got a new toy!!! You probably know this, but don't season your steak or even add butter prior to sous vide. Harold McGee did an article on the effects of adding additional fats to red meats and it actually takes away from the flavor. Season just before searing and add a pat of butter after it is seared while resting. You're gonna love the texture. There's so much you can do with this thing. One of my faves is chicken wings. I do put a little duck fat in with them and also salt them. They go on the grill to get a nice char. Wish I had some right now. Can't wait to see what you come up with first!!!

byrdie

12 Jun 2014, 19:59 #5

Thanks, Squirrel, for the info.  I know I'm going to be on the learning curve for a while so any words of wisdom and direction are truly appreciated.  Actually I've been kicking around the idea of cooking a couple links of the banana pepper sausage I made.  Any advice?
Ms. Julia   Image

byrdie

12 Jun 2014, 20:59 #6

This site has tons of information and recipes.....
http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
Ms. Julia   Image

12 Jun 2014, 21:14 #7

When I do mine I put 2 in a bag, cook them at 155F for 2-3 hours. The first time I did them I cooked them at 145F and they were too pink for me. I don't know why, but I can eat a medium burger, but I don't like pink sausage. Then I just sear them in the cast iron skillet after they have rested a bit. Easy peezie. I did some last night and served with canellini (sp?) beans and fried cabbage. Yummy. Have fun playing with your new toy! That website is the first one I went to when I got mine.

byrdie

13 Jun 2014, 14:20 #8

Thanks Squirrelly girlie!!  The more I read about the sous vide method, the more it's sinking in that the temp set on the machine corresponds to the temp you want the steak/sausage/whatever to reach.  So if I'm correct, to cook a medium rare steak 1" thick, temp should be set at 134 for about an hours time.  And that the cooking time is determined by the thickness of the meat so a 2" steak would take twice as long.  Once it's reached that temp you can keep the meat (or whatever) at that temp for a few hours and it won't overcook because it's maintained at a constant temperature.  Is all that correct or am I missing something?
Ms. Julia   Image

13 Jun 2014, 16:50 #9

That would be correct byrdie girl. One of my faves is chicken breasts. So tender and awesome for chicken salad. We did a lot of veggies in school, but I don't do very many at home. Though sous vide baby carrots are wonderful.

byrdie

13 Jun 2014, 17:45 #10

Cool!  I was hoping I grasped that concept correctly.  Now all I have to do is master vac-sealing the freakin' bag!   Image
Ms. Julia   Image